In this episode of The Love Destination Expert Series, the Travelling Dietitian Kara Landau explores how stress and heartache can affect your diet and health.
The Love Destination Expert Series is proudly brought to you by
Watch the episode below and scroll down for more of Kara’s tips.
Here are Kara’s top tips on how breakups or other stressful events can affect your diet and health:
1. Our mind and body are connected, with many people either losing their appetite, or binge eating or drinking.
2. Neither option is beneficial to feeling strong, having clarity of thought, or feeling your best.
3. Often carbohydrate or sugar heavy dishes are craved as this helps boost serotonin our feel good hormones.
4. The elation we feel during and directly following the food consumption drops once our blood glucose levels return to normal, and this can lead to a vicious cycle of comfort eating.
5. It’s actually some of these same foods that give us that initial high, that are linked with depression and therefore end up having a detrimental effect.